Hashtags, a topic close to my heart. 10 things I have to say about using #Hashtags, and let this be my roundup post for 2014.
1. Hashtags are used to curate content on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, they don’t work the same way as in blogs. I used hashtags in my blog posts for illustration purposes.
2. Don’t spam hashtags. Use a maximum of 3.
3. Even though Instagram allows up to use of 30 hashtags, but that doesn’t mean you have to use all of them. As Guy Kawasaki said, don’t try and game the system. It makes your brand looks desperate.
4. I did a hashtag test on Instagram previously. I used alot of hashtags, waited and see how long I need to wait for someone to point out to me this is not a best practice. I waited for a few months, and it was my colleague in the agency, Ericson who pointed it out to me. (yay! to Ericson!)
5. Some hashtags are just strange, and long. eg, #mrXXXwasmysecondaryschoolchemistryteacher (????!!!!) What is the purpose?
6. If its for a brand, be consistent with your hashtags, it will reinforce your brand recall amongst consumers.
7. I have fought with many people on the use of hashtags. (It’s not using the more the merrier!)
8. There are many free tools (and paid ones) to find out what are some of the popular hashtags you can use to help promote your brand. (for content with seasonality)
9. Unless it’s a super uber nice pretty picture, I will not like pictures on social media when it’s spammed with hashtags.
10. I wrote this not to make more enemies, but just how I feel about the use of hashtags.
Happy New Year everyone! Let’s start 2015 well, and pray for no more bad things happening.